No evil dooms us hopelessly except the evil we love, and desire to continue in, and make no effort to escape from.
So far I have lived twenty-three years longer than Shakespeare. Oh my! What he would have done with that extra time.
As for humble me, I have noticed so many dark deeds in my eighty odd years I will feel guilty unless I at least draw attention to some of them now. That is why I am writing this.
That looking glass of mine still seems to be getting darker and darker. All my years of teaching and that infinity of classrooms have created so much data.
I feel driven just now to talk about the shadows that worry me. Are you familiar with Plato’s Cave? That sums up the way I feel pretty well. So many people in my life have announced THE answer to so many things. One of my problems is that I have seen so many unexpected changes I am beginning to wonder if you can be sure of anything.
Is uncertainty the only certainty? But wait a minute. If my answer is “yes,” how can you be certain about the certainty of my answer? My brain needs a rest. Contact with these four heroes of mine might help you understand what I am trying to say: Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing?
Please note therefore I’m into suggestions not certainties but possibly useful points of view here. For now, as I’ve said elsewhere, I focus on one cause of my anguish at a time. This is the second post in my list.
I am sick of all the sad news around me so I have decided to laugh a bit here.
The problem this time is
Things are not what they seem to be.
FAKE NEWS 4 SALE. MEDIA WHERE R U?
FROM OUR FOR REIGN CORRESPONDENT
- I bought a bottle of grow-tall juice by Beanstalk Jack Inc. from my chemist last week I know it will work because I have seen breathtaking computer generated TV images to prove its effectiveness. Six foot six within my reach! I took my first dose this morning. Watch this outer space!
- Midas Merten sold me a pair of Bullshit-detecting Reading Glasses for my 83rd birthday. Cost him a fortune I believe, although included was a pair of absolutely free Climate Change Sunglasses. Haven’t detected anything yet, as I read, but patients are a virtue.
- Error-free pens are the latest craze in the US. They are just now poker machine prizes. A new age is approaching and it’s good buy to misspelling.
- My dear wife has bought me a Truth-selecting Hearing-aid for our anniversary. So sweet of her! When I hear words of suspect truth, I notice the volume gets louder but it’s good to know lies won’t trouble me anymore.
- That Anti-aging Potion I also bought from my chemist last week has caused me a bit of trouble. It’s a three times a day job with a free, precise measuring glass and a homogenised plastic spoon. The first day of treatment went very well but for the last few days I can’t remember where I put the bottle. Damn!
MORE FROM OUR LOCAL CORRESPONDENT
How Political Schemes Do Come True
- A dog has just been elected to the Australian Parliament after a long series of court battles. Citizen Canis, as his owners named him, was declared a valid, living being by the High Court and approved on constitutional grounds because dogs have not been specifically forbidden by law to occupy a seat in the House Of Representatives. The dog is functional. All it needs is one bark for yes and two barks for no. The new independent member for Black Tree wags his tail a lot. Frequent requests for support in divisions are usually backed up by gifts of export quality steak.
- Citizens are advised that postage stamps are now, as the border enquiry suggests,
A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION.
- “threatening our freedom and much envied way of life. Classified sources now reveal messages in stamped envelopes have been detected avoiding border security. This is a clear and present danger. All foreign stamps therefore will now be vetted by dedicated, well versed geologists. Please note that this may lead to delay of up to six months in delivery.”
- The Treasurer has announced for tomorrow a state of the art plan to reduce costs and improve the lives of the aged and the disabled with a spectacular Budget switch. On this given date, all motor services for members will cease. Parliamentary vehicles and drivers’ roles will be be diverted to welfare service for the aged, incapacitated and dying. This will save as the needy will die off more quickly than politicians and so reduce costs and workload.Self-sustained member transport will be applied henceforth. Free bicycles will be issued. For the bicycle infirm, substitute three-wheeled scooters are planned. Long distance transport will, from this day forth, be by train only. All air transport is banned save for helicopters in a state of emergency. Overseas conferences are already missing from members’ agendas, interstate conferences will be fewer in number, and Skype and internet conferencing will become the new mode of travel.
- Notice this. Bold steps have also been taken to reduce needed attention span in Parliamentary Question Time. Now, for both questions and answers, the number of words spoken will be limited to what can be stated in a single breath. Breath Detectors have been fitted to all microphones so that if a second breath is taken, a BD switch renders the member totally silent. An increase in the use of gestures has been noted. So too have the many Speaker demands to withdraw unparliamentary gesticulations.
- In addition, we report that Standing Orders in the Parliament of Australia have been privatised. The Speaker now has digital support, at a small taxpayer-funded cost, for all judgements. Notable is the Question Time Relevance Monitor. Now, whenever an answer strays from the topic, a whistle blows and a QTRM recorded voice will say loudly, “Tell the truth you devious scam artist.” Disruption has already become suddenly rare and speeches in reply are noticeably brief.
Last Comment: Ad Folk Regularly Advertise Confusion
I just don’t understand these things.
Because I am old and infirm, I don’t get out much. This means I depend on television for my awareness of the world and for advice on how to spend my meagre pension. As you can see, that is serious business. I have to concentrate hard to get things right.
That is the problem!
They keep saying things that don’t make sense. I am nearing an Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood over this. Big challenge in my extreme maturity!
Look. Here are some examples of what I mean.
- I needed a new scrabble set because I’d lost Q. So I saw this advertisement
BUY ONE TODAY AND GET A SECOND ONE ABSOLUTELY FREE.
I contacted them and told them I’m pretty poor so I would just like the free one please. This caused an immense fuss as they said no. Well how about that! How can something be free if you have to buy something else to get it? So I’ve made a new scrabble rule. If you’ve got u and e, you’ve got q.
- And then there was my wheelbarrow insurance.
I couldn’t afford to pay a lump sum so I spaced the cost into 12 monthly payments. Would you believe I broke an axle in January and they told me I could get only one twelfth of the value as I hadn’t paid for the whole year. They didn’t tell me that on the big blurb that got me in. Fabulists!
- My sweet tooth got me into trouble recently. I love hundreds and thousands.
Now look what that has done to me. In one of those shops with good deals I saw a huge jar of hundreds and thousands marked SPECIAL. Now I’ve no surplus money for luxuries, but I decided on a cunning little plan to forgo toothpaste for a month and use salt to clean my teeth.
That was how I bought the great jar. That was why, when I opened it, I had another mixed anxiety and depressed mood outbreak. The jar was only half full. Jar size trickery. No thousands just hundreds. For some sad reason those pretty sandwiches I made were not delicious at all.
- And now I must tell you about the Truth Converter I picked up at Vinnies for a song.
It works under the old AV system. I’ve kept my out of date AV recorders just for old times sake. When you’re 83, old times are important. Things fade away like the old Stanley Steamer don’t they, for various reasons, but they might still be useful one day. This one was.
This Truth Converter works for me! Only me.
I just plug the lead into the old AV recorder.
Look at these results. A mindblow! Look at what I fed in and what came out.
robust discussion … a vicious argument
responsible spending … gainful cuts to welfare
a deep trust alliance … all the way with LBJ
a finely balanced budget … any profitable asset sold
as soon as is practical … before the next election
within reasonable time … after the next election
telling the truth … agreeing with me
nothing but fake news … not agreeing with me
great prime minister … great at hiding the truth
There you are. What fun my little toy is! Only paid $1.50 for it. Can’t wait to get back to it.
Finally, to end this post, here’s a little piece I wrote.
Once in a fit of ill-informed hate
Back in the mists of my time,
Somebody wrote the use-by date
When I would be past my prime.
Then, it was thought, my mind would decay
And the voice would lose its thrall.
Thus, even though I still seized each day,
No one would heed me at all.
It is true, now that I’ve seen a few years
And I’m often in need of a bed,
Some people don’t give me access to their ears
Or even a nod of the head.
But there’s always a trumpet with smiling face
Who will tell you he’s got a solution;
But alas he is crass, brain so far out of place
Any wise thought’s a true revolution.
Yet he’ll offer false dreams with lucrative schemes
To turn all your strife into money.
All that does for me is awaken my screams
As I hide his junk mail in a dunny.
It’s a lonely place this, with your energy spent,
Where half-truths will still come and go;
If you spend your last cent to dispense with the rent,
There are few other strings to your bow.
Yes here then am I, much older than most,
Foundering, some say, and dismasted.
You may feel that I’m past it, or even a ghost,
But I’m not a loot wizard’s snared bastard.
A Loot Wizard
Thanks and respect to Howard Littlejohn
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
Twitter is no longer a place for me.
That is all I have to say about that.
All images on this site are my own or from Wiki Commons, Creative Commons or Public Domain. If there is any error, please tell me and I will fix things immediately. All my thanks to the wonderful Wiki service and to the artists who share their gifts.